Friday, September 26, 2008

Accept Correction

University 101
Documentation for Week #3

This week we learned a lot about our dual nature. We learned that there are two distinct ways that our mind works, Sopically and Mantically. The sophic mind is logical and analytical whereas the mantic is more creative, spatial and emotional. This is also referred to as left-brained (sophic) and right-brained (mantic) because of which hemisphere of the brain controlls each process of thought.

Sister Haddock gave us a challenge to show jus how this worked in our own minds. First she told us to sing "Happy Birthday" together. Then she had us take out a piece of paper, and told us to write down the word "Supercalafragilisticexpyalidocious" (I have no idea if that's spelled right) while singing the song with out pausing or stopping. It was suprisingly difficult! Then she descibed a picture of a house, with many specific features and told us to draw it while again singing "Happy Birthday". This time it was fairly easy. She explained that singing required the Sophic or left-brain, and when we tried to write the word, another activity that required the left-brain we found it difficult to do both. Drawing the house, however, was a right-brained or Mantic activity, and this is why we found it so much easier.

This week we also worked on Accepting Correction (from last week's 5 traits) by choosing some activities that would allow us to practice this. We then had to write up a 2 page paper on it. This is an excerpt from what I wrote:

"I really learned a lot about the University and myself through this week’s assignment. I hadn’t ever really thought about why it was that I had avoided meeting and seeking help from others. I believe now, that I was afraid of criticism or of being patronized. But I found that was far from what I found when I finally put myself out there... I have shied away from many new things simply because of this fear. Right now I am trying to find what it is in the arts that I really have a passion for. I love to sing, and I have a talent for it, but I don’t like the strictness of classical training. I would like to study composition, but I have been too afraid to try it. I also think I may enjoy creative writing, but again, a fear of criticism has kept me from sharing my ideas. I am so grateful for this University and the people here who have shown me that I should not be afraid. I hope that through these teachings about the disciple-scholar that I will be able to overcome this fear, and share my ideas being completely ready to accept correction."

No comments: